CONGRATULATIONS to Farmers Club member Ian Pigott who received an OBE in the 2016 New Year Honours List.
Mr Pigott, who farms at Harpenden, Hertfordshire, created Open Farm Sunday and is also chairman of the Farming and Countryside Education charity and a Farmers Weekly columnist. He was awarded the OBE for services to agricultural and countryside education.
Other awards to members of the farming industry (as reported by Farmers Weekly) include:
- John Varley, estate director of Clinton Devon Estates, OBE
- John Lockwood, chairman of Lincolnshire Agricultural Society, MBE
- Professor Willie Donachie, Moredun Research Institute, OBE
- Alan Stennett, agricultural journalist and BBC broadcaster, British Empire Medal (BEM)
- Nigel Gibbens, Defra chief veterinary officer, CBE
- Mary James, former director of NFU Cymru, MBE
- Canon Keith Ineson, agricultural chaplain and co-ordinator of the Cheshire Farm Community Network, BEM
- Gerald Lavery, former senior finance director at the Department for Agriculture and Rural Development in Northern Ireland, CBE
- Steve Ashby, former policy adviser to Defra on international plant health issues, OBE